Belfast Tour — Videos and Activities
Several places of interrest are discribed in this video taped guided tour. You might also get an insight into the political system of Northern Ireland. Clips to watch and activities to follow are discribed here.
1. East Belfast
What does the interviewee tell you about the Belfast shipyard and its workers?
- Watch the video clip again. What different kinds of murals do you see?
Describe the symbols, paintings that are shown in the clip?
- Look up East Belfast Murals in the Internet
Describe the various murals. What do they tell you?
or google for Murals East Belfast
Listen to the interview and find out about the following:
- Which political parties are mentioned by the interviewee?
- Look up this BBC News article to find out what these parties stand for
Find out whether there are any other parties which were not mentioned by the interviewee.
- Find out about the General Election 2005 in Northern Ireland (and Britain)
What is the strongest /second strongest and third strongest party in Northern Ireland?
- “...all these weird political parties we have, but I am sure you have quite a few in Austria as well.” – so which political parties do we have in Austria?
The Stormont Building - Summary
What does the interviewee say about the Stormont building?
Listen to the interview and find out why it is so difficult to set up a new parliament in Northern Ireland
4. Impact of the conflict
What was the situation like in the past, what is the situation like now and what will have to be done in the future?